Monday 5 May 2014

Kedai Makanan Yut Kee


If you're more of a kopitiam person, you would definitely have heard of this place. If you have not, please, climb out of that cave. YOU MUST try this place at least once.YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.


Established in 1928 (86 years ago oh-my-Gawd), Yut Kee is known affectionately for its old setting -  graffiti across the wall, old windows which allow passers-by to peek inside the shop, tiled walls, ... 


Peeling off paint, iron bars, ...


Wooden ceilings with white fluorescent lamps, ...


Old fashioned tiled floors, dark wooden chairs, and of course the marble tables that you see when you were little (if you were born in the 80's or earlier of course).


If you plan to go during weekend or lunch hour, I strongly suggest that you do not wear thick clothes because it's going to be hot. Expect to stand awhile outside while waiting for available seats, there will be a crowd waiting out front. 


If you're expecting a quiet and private meal with your family then this is not the place for you (you have been warned). 

It is likely that you will have to share a table (or 'dap toi' in Cantonese) with one, or sometimes more, group of customers. The most we had was 2 young couples sharing a table with us ... it was awkward (think: quiet meal, everyone inexplicably focused on their plate of food with no eye contact whatsoever). I love sharing table with chatty elderly customers though, they will happily start a conversation with you and tell you about how they used to visit YK 'during those days' and how they will make an effort, even today, to travel all the way from their house (presumably from a land far far away) just to eat here. 


But of course, YK didn't gain its fame by its old-fashioned setting. Obviously people travel from afar for their food. I think my command of the English language is limited and as such, doesn't do justice for the food served here.

First off, I ordered their 'Kopi-Peng'. I'm no kopi-expert but when I brought my super-cerewet dad, he took a sip, and said 'good kopi'.


2ndly, must order their roast pork. Its not available every day so once you see it, lunge for it and order immediately before it is sold out. Pair it with YK's homemade apple sauce. I once brought a junior here who, after taking the 1st bite, kept describing it as 'amazing' throughout the meal and few days after that, he asked me 'Could you show me the directions to the glorious roast pork? I'd like to bring my parents there.' Yeah, he used the word 'glorious'.

Other than the usual half boiled egg and toast (which seem to be the staples for Hainanese), Yut Kee also serves other 'heavier' meals ranging from noodles, fried rice, porridge, to pork chop, chicken chop and their famous Roti Babi.


You must try their Pork Chop. Of all the chops, i.e. chicken chop, pork chop, beef or lamb chop, I think Pork Chop is the best. My mom liked it so much she 'took a peek' into the kitchen while 'on the way to the washroom' in hopes of reconstructing the same dish at home. She came back empty handed.  


I usually have my pork chop with a litttlleeeee bittt of ketchup for a bit of sour taste. Just imagining it makes me salivate :9 

Kedai Makanan Yut Kee
35, Jalan Dang Wangi 
50100 Kuala Lumpur 
Business Hours:  8 am to 5 pm (closed on Mondays)

No comments:

Post a Comment